HAMILTON, N.Y. -- The men's basketball team at Colgate University now know what they're up against. A second seeded Tennessee team will be facing off against 15th seeded Colgate on Friday. The odds are stacked against them, but after an 11 game winning streak, the students are still pretty optimistic.
“I mean Cinderella stories. Like I think there's a possible chance. Like, it's likely that could have an amazing game, and they can continue their record, and just like that feeling of being the underdog. Being the underdog really helps. It really gives you that motivation, and I think Tennessee has everything to lose and we have everything to win,” said Madi Kiani, a student.
There are students that are optimistic, and some that are realistic, but even they aren't giving up hope.
“This is the first time in 23 years I think, that we've made it to the NCAA bracket, so I think it will be awesome to watch, awesome to support the team. I'm not sure about our chances of winning, but I like to have faith in us as the underdog team that will take down Tennessee,” said Nate Jeffries, another student.
Colgate is a relatively small school, so when one team is on a winning streak, other teams show up for support.
“You want to go and support your fellow athletes, basketball's the way to do it, and they're having a great year. We had a great year, so they supported us, we're going to support them. It's a small school out here so you got to be down for each other,” said Cam Rohr, another student.
No matter what happens, you can expect there to be a watching party somewhere on campus, and plenty of Raiders fans bringing their spirit.
“We're going to the dance. We're going dancing, and we're going to take down Tennessee and everything's going to be amazing, but no honestly I'm just – I fell in love with the sports culture here and fact that it's a small school but has D1 athletics is really an interesting aspect and I think they have a pretty strong fan base,” said Ryan Ruhl, another student.
So even though the Colgate Raiders fans know they're in for a tough game, they aren't giving up hope, because when it comes to March Madness, anything can happen.
- Colgate fans hopeful for win against Tennessee despite underdog ranking
- Colgate falls 77-70 to Tennessee, but fans still beaming with pride
- Tennessee holds off Colgate to advance to NCAA second round
- Army snaps Colgate's 14 game win streak
- Colgate earns 15-seed, will face Tennessee, Syracuse will battle against Baylor in 8/9-seed matchup
- More than 200 fans will rep maroon for Colgate Raiders in Ohio Friday
- Fans from all over rooting for Colgate upset in first round NCAA game
- Brindisi Takes Town Hall to Colgate
- Colgate freshman proves "UCan" make a difference
- Colgate Football Game Canceled Due to Florence