Belleville, ON - The Utica Comets squandered two crucial points to the team they're chasing in the north division standings with a 3-1 loss to the Belleville Senators at CAA Arena, Wednesday.
After a scoreless first period, the Senators struck in the second. Jack Rodewald scored on a rebound past Comets goalie Michael Leighton to put Belleville up 1-0.
It wasn't until 4:31 was remaining in the final stanza that the Comets finally broke through, with Brendan Woods putting a backhander past Sens goalie Marcus Hogberg to tie it up.
Then, with 1:44 left in the regulation, Justin Falk scored with a top shelf wrist shot to give Belleville the lead right back. Former Comets fan favorite, Darren Archibald, then sealed it with an empty netter with 1:04 remaining.
The Comets now sit six points behind the Senators in the fourth and final playoff spot with 10 games remaining.
Utica returns to action on Friday night when they host the Laval Rocket at the Adirondack Bank Center.
- Comets drop eighth straight as playoff hopes continue to fade
- Comets playoff hopes continue to dwindle with loss to Marlies
- Comets' playoff hopes are dashed as they fall to Marlies with late shorthanded goal
- Comets drop heartbreaker in much-anticipated home opener
- NHL veteran, Luke Schenn, hoping for fresh start with Comets
- Dow sinks 500 points as trade truce enthusiasm fades
- Tickets now on sale for Comets playoff home game on April 25
- Comets fans electrify the Adirondack Bank Center for Calder Cup Playoffs
- Comets push point streak to 16 straight games with win over Senators
- Comets win third straight of Galaxy Cup series with high-scoring victory over Crunch