Utica, N.Y. - The Utica Comets losing streak hit three straight games as the lost to the North Division leading, Rochester Americans, 3-1 at the Adirondack Bank Center, Wednesday.
The game was tied through two periods of play, but an early third period tally would prove to be the difference.
Despite many chances in the opening frame, both teams would head into the locker room scoreless.
In the second, just 55 seconds in with the Amerks on a power play, C.J. Smith took a slap shot from the top of the left circle that was redirected past Michael Leighton and into the back of the net to put Rochester on the board.
The Comets tied it up on a power play of their own with 3:22 to go in the stanza. Reid Boucher ripped a wrister top shelf, glove side on Scott Wedgewood, from the right circle for his team leading 25th of the year. Evan McEneny and Zack MacEwen assisted on the goal.
The Amerks opened up the third with a goal from Victor Olofsson just 22 seconds in, and Remi Elie gave Rochester an insurance marker six minutes later. The Comets unloaded a flurry of shots in the final minutes of the game, but couldn't fool Wedgewood for a second time.
The Amerks goalie finished with 30 saves, while Leighton ended up with 29 for the Comets.
Utica is next in action on Friday night, at home, against the Hershey Bears. Puck drop is at 7 p.m.
- Comets fall to Amerks after pair of third period goals
- D'Aoust's pair of goals lifts Comets past Bears
- Crunch sink Comets with three-goal first period
- Comet move within one point of Amerks with OT win
- Comets close out 2018 with win over Amerks
- Comets stifled by Amerks, shut out for second straight night
- Scores 2-Day: January 17, 2018 (Comets top Amerks 3-2 in shootout)
- Comets continue flexing offensive muscle, top Amerks 7-1 to continue franchise best start
- Comets fall to Rocket 4-2
- Comets' playoff hopes are dashed as they fall to Marlies with late shorthanded goal