(October 8, 2017)
The wait is over as the Utica Comets officially kicked off the 2017-18 season Saturday night in Toronto against the Marlies.
Marlies 3, Comets 1
Thatcher Demko got the nod between the pipes for Utica and the offense would give him the early lead.
First period, Comets on the power play, puck stuck in the corner. Reid Boucher finds a wide open Nikolay Goldobin who goes top shelf.
First goal of the season goes to the birthday boy. Goldy picking up right where he left off and its 1-0 Comets.
Middle frame, Ben Smith behind the net sends it to Rich Clune who sneaks it past Demko from an odd angle. The Marlies knot it up at one.
Third period, Toronto on the power play. Travis Dermott from the blue line takes a shot, Demko able to make the save. Puck loose in front of the net where Kerby Rychel was right there to send it in. Marlies take a 2-1 lead.
Toronto would add an empty-netter to seal the 3-1 victory.
The Comets are back in action tomorrow afternoon for a rematch with the Marlies. Puck drops at 4 p.m. at Ricoh Coliseum.
- Comets fall to Marlies in season opener
- Marlies overpower Comets at home
- Comets force Game 5, down Marlies 5-2 at home
- Comets fought hard but fall to Marlies in overtime, Toronto leads series 1-0
- Comets excited for upcoming season
- Comets fall to Rocket 4-2
- Comets season ticket holders celebrate upcoming season
- NewsTalk: Rob Esche talks Comets' home opener, upcoming season
- Comets give up two-goal lead in OT loss to Marlies
- Marlies overpower Comets in third period on their way to 5-2 victory