Toronto, ON - The Utica Comets saw a 2-0 lead turn into a 3-2 overtime loss to the first-place Toronto Marlies at the Ricoh Coliseum, Thursday.
The Comets struck first on a goal by Jalen Chatfield after a pass across the ice by Tanner MacMaster wound up in the back of the net to make it 1-0.
Utica would double that lead with a goal by MacMaster, himself, off a rebound on a shot by Lukas Jasek, three and a half minutes later.
Pierre Engvall scored a one-timer power play goal in the second to make it 2-1, then Vincent Loverde put a one-timer of his own home in the third to tie it up.
With 32 seconds left in overtime, Adam Brooks scored the game-winner as the Comets get a point but fail to notch the second.
Richard Bachman finished with 39 saves in the game, but falls to 13-13-4 with the loss.
These two teams return to Utica to square off at the Adirondack Bank Center on Friday. Puck drop is at 7 p.m.
- Comets give up two-goal lead in OT loss to Marlies
- Marlies overpower Comets at home
- Comets fall to Marlies in season opener
- Comets quest for Calder Cup comes to an end with loss to Marlies
- Comets force Game 5, down Marlies 5-2 at home
- Comets fought hard but fall to Marlies in overtime, Toronto leads series 1-0
- Comets gain point, fall to Thunderbirds in OT for sixth straight loss
- Early goals, Archibald injury cost Comets in 5-2 loss against Checkers
- Comet move within one point of Amerks with OT win
- Comets win OT thriller against Checkers in Charlotte