Laval, Quebec - The Utica Comets scored two goals within 10 seconds in the final minute of the third period, but it was too little, too late as they fell 5-4 to the Laval Rocket at Place Bell, Wednesday.
After Jordan Boucher scored an empty net goal with 1:18 remaining in the third period, Comets' Michael Carcone tallied with 16 seconds left in the final frame to make it 5-3. Then with six seconds on the clock, Reid Boucher put one home that would bring Utica within one, but time would expire before the Comets could tie things up.
Daniel Carr got Laval on the board first just five minutes into the game with a power play goal. Peter Holland then extended the lead with 31 seconds left in the opening stanza to make it 2-0.
In the middle frame, Carr scored his second of the night 11:15 into the period to give the Rocket a commanding 3-0 lead. Michael Chaput broke through for the comets with a marker of his own with 5:08 left in the second to head into the locker room down 3-1.
In the third, Anoine Waked scored his first of the year for Laval to make it 4-1, Alexis D'Aoust countered for Utica to make it 4-2.
Then came the wild final two minutes which nearly resulted in a Comets comeback.
Thatcher Demko returned to the lineup to make 20 saves, while his Laval counterpart, Michael McNiven, stopped 27 shots for the win.
The Comets went 0-5 on the power play, while the penalty kill allowed the Rocket to go 2-5 on the man advantage.
Utica returns to action at home on Friday night when they take on the Belleville Senators. Puck drop is at 7 p.m.
- Comets late surge not enough in loss to Laval Rocket
- Comets fall to Rocket 4-2
- Rocket soar past Comets in third consecutive matchup
- Demko returns from injury, Comets ground Rocket with 3-2 win
- Comets snap eight game losing skid, beat Rocket in shootout
- Comets blown out by Crunch in Galaxy Cup series loss
- Comets playoff hopes continue to dwindle with loss to Marlies
- Comets steady on both ends of the ice in win over Rocket at home
- Walmart surges heading into holidays
- Marlies overpower Comets at home