The Utica Comets were in Toronto on Sunday looking to upset the top-seeded Marlies in a winner-takes-all Game 5 of the North Division emifinal series.
The Comets started out the series down 2 games to none before heading back to an electric crowd at the Adirondack Bank Center. Utica was able to tie the series and force a decisive Game 5.
Carl Grundstrom put the Marlies up 1-0 four minutes into the game with a power play goal. Pierre Engvall and Andreas Johnsson were credited with the assists.
Grundstrom struck again with 7:27 to go in the second period to extend the lead to 2-0. Johnsson and Miro Aaltonen had the assists.
Johnsson pushed the lead to 3-0 early in the third period with a power play goal. Travis Dermott picked up the assist. Dmytro Timashov scored the empty net goal with 2:11 to go to secure the win. Ben smith tallied the assist.
Thatcher Demko finished 34 with saves. Marlies goaltender Garret Sparks stopped 36 shots to earn the shutout. The Comets power play went 0-3, while the penalty kill allowed two goals in six attempts.
The Comets fall to the Marlies 4-0 as their season comes to an end.
- Comets quest for Calder Cup comes to an end with loss to Marlies
- Marlies overpower Comets at home
- Comets fans electrify the Adirondack Bank Center for Calder Cup Playoffs
- Comets fall to Marlies in season opener
- Comets give up two-goal lead in OT loss to Marlies
- Comets blown out by Crunch in Galaxy Cup series loss
- Comets force Game 5, down Marlies 5-2 at home
- Comets fought hard but fall to Marlies in overtime, Toronto leads series 1-0
- Marlies overpower Comets in third period on their way to 5-2 victory
- Comets win streak snapped at four, fall to Marlies in Toronto