Binghamton, N.Y. - The Utica Comets staved off late pressure in order to open up the 2019-20 regular season with a 4-3 win over the Binghamton Devils at Floyd L. Maines Arena, Monday.
The Comets went into the locker room after one down a goal thanks to Nathan Bastian who put the Devils on top 13:34 into the first frame.
In the second, Utica came out firing. Carter Camper got a fortunate bounce as he scored his first as a Comet just 1:23 into the frame to knot things up at 1-1.
Just 53 seconds later, Kole Lind found Reid Boucher back door for a one-timer in close and last year's leading scorer found the back of the net to give the Comets the lead. That was Lind's second assist in the span of a minute.
A few minutes later, Justin Bailey snapped a quick shot five-hole on Evan Cormier for his first in a Comets uniform to give Utica a 3-1 lead.
The Comets then capped off a four-goal second period with a top-shelf wrist shot from Guillaume Brisebois off a feed from Boucher. Lind had the secondary assist on the play, his third of the night.
Josh Jacobs and Joey Anderson scored in the third to bring Binghamton within one, but the Comets were able to hold them off for the final minute to seal the victory.
Zane McIntyre made his Comets debut in goal, stopping 19 shots. Cormier made 32 saves for the Devils.
The Comets return to action on Saturday, October 12 against the Wiles-Barre/Scranton Penguins on the road. Puck drop is at 7:05 p.m.
- Comets score four in second period barrage to earn season opening win against Devils
- Comets' streak halted by Devils
- Johnson, Devils shutout the Comets in Utica
- Comets second period scoring frenzy lifts them to win over Marlies
- Comets finish October undefeated with 3-1 home victory over Devils
- Comets fall short against Devils for third straight loss
- Comets pleased with effort in season opening win
- Utica Comets open the season with a win
- Comets fall to Marlies in season opener
- Comets earn split in Laval with 4-2 win over Rocket