ROME, NY – The Rome American Legion was packed Sunday with people helping to raise money for a local veteran battling cancer.
Staff Sergeant Desiree Sotelo was diagnosed with ovarian cancer when she was only 25 years old.
She was recently diagnosed with invasive ovarian cancer and had to have several of her organs removed.
Sotelo says she is overwhelmed by the community’s support.
“When you’re going through certain things in your life, sometimes you don’t realize or you might question if you matter. Today is a great example of how much people do care and how many supporters I do have so this means the world to me.”
Sotelo has five more months of chemotherapy and says she plans to stay strong and keep on fighting.
- Community comes together to support local veteran
- Ride a Horse Support a Veteran
- Local Veterans Day Celebration Events
- WW2 Veteran receives community help following storm
- Local veteran inducted into NYS Senate Veterans Hall of Fame
- Veterans Outreach Center holds 'Day of Service' for local veterans
- Bikers ride 100 miles supporting purple heart veterans
- Marine Corps League in Ilion appreciates support for Veterans
- Clinton community comes together to support local woman battling breast cancer