The Colgate Raiders basketball team’s win against Bucknell advances them to the NCAA Tournament. It’s an exciting time for the players, but since its spring break, there weren't many students in the stands. Shelley Robertson works in Customer Service at the Colgate Bookstore. She was at the game and says the lack of students didn't subdue the atomsphere.
"You know what. It really didn’t make a difference. It was so… it was packed there last night. It really didn’t make a difference. I mean it would have been awesome if the kids could have been there, but I mean everybody was loud, everybody was like yea go!"
The excitement was almost overwhelming for some of Colgate’s staff. Colgate Assistant Director Marketings David Riggs talked about his experience.
"We’re all excited about what happened last night and it’s just kind of one of those things where you see people and you’re just hugging and high fiving them, and you know I hugged and high fived probably a dozen or so people who I had never met before in my life last night, and it’s just one of those things that brings people together."
The win is also bringing the community together. Emily Barnes works at the Colgate Inn and talked about why the locals support each other.
"I think we like building around anything positive. The sports teams this year were fantastic. We watched football win the Patriot League in the fall so having basketball come out and do the same thing was super exciting."
Many of the players, parents, and fans end up at Oliveri’s Pizzeria after the games. Owner Mike Clare says he doesn’t get to attend many games, but follows them on TV and feels like one of fans.
"There’s a great sense of belonging here, and a very close-knit, tight community you know, so to watch that team play the way they do, and watch them exceed and progress through and be able to play in the big championship, it’s exciting. It’s exciting to see, and we wish them all the best here."
Stay with NEWSChannel 2 Sports for complete coverage of Colgates journey.
- Overwhelming support from community as Colgate heads into NCAA Tournament
- Colgate ready to 'raid' bigger arena in NCAA tourney game
- Tennessee holds off Colgate to advance to NCAA second round
- Colgate routs Lafayette 76-54 in Patriot League Tournament
- Fans from all over rooting for Colgate upset in first round NCAA game
- Third time's a charm? Colgate's Quest for NCAA tourney win begins today
- Syracuse tops TCU to advance again in NCAA Tournament
- Syracuse suspends Frank Howard on eve of NCAA Tournament
- Brindisi Takes Town Hall to Colgate