UTICA, N.Y. -- The Street Corner Market on Genesee Street officially opened its doors Friday.
The national chain store takes the place of the former Rite Aid building on the 100 block of Genesee Street.
"There's been some challenges. We've been working with the construction crew to get the store to its current state. Also the apartments just got finished also so its a lot of moving parts," said Vincent Donnelly, store manager
Street Corner Market offers its customers unique local products. The store isn't designed to compete with big chain supermarkets in the area.
"After you go shopping at Walmart and you have your cart full of groceries, later that week there's going to be something you forgot. And instead of going to back to Walmart, you can just stop at Street Corner market and we will have it," said Donnelly.
The opening of the store is also a big sign that Downtown is on the rise.
"One of the missing ingredients in downtown Utica has been a grocery store. Something that provides healthy fruit and vegetable options for people living in downtown Utica and now we have that with this wonderful store that is here now," said Congressman Anthony Brindisi.
"I think we are more and more focused on reinvigorating and revitalizing downtown areas especially in smaller cities throughout the state. So I'm encouraged by that type of investment and by the actions of various city administrations throughout the state to be conducive and responsive to new initiatives and new opportunities," said Senator Joe Griffo.
Local business owners were also excited to see the grocery store open up.
"We own Character Coffee next door. So having a spot where we can get ingredients on hand is a huge piece of the puzzle that has been missing. You can stop after work and that is anybody living downtown and you can just grab all the things you need to go make dinner at night," said Katie Martin, owner of Character Coffee.
Store management says that the process of developing this building has been exciting.
"It’s been a lot of fun, honestly, it’s exciting if you take a look around you've got some really great products. Trying to get a convenience store/grocery store mix has been pretty difficult, but I think we nailed it,” Donnelly, the store manager.
The building also features brand new apartments upstairs. There's only a few left so if you are interested you'll need to act fast.
- Street Corner Market opens on Genesee Street
- North Genesee Street NB closed to four corners in Utica
- Genesee Street Market to be held every Friday this summer
- Genesee Street: Power is restored and lanes back open
- UPDATE: Genesee Street back open after overnight closure
- Bridge construction will cause Genesee Street and Route 8 closures
- Fire in Downtown Utica Shuts Down Genesee Street
- Traffic Alert: Crews paving Genesee Street intersection through Tuesday afternoon
- Genesee Street crash slows traffic near New Hartford Shopping Center
- Firestone on Genesee Street to become Tallman Tires next week