NEW YORK MILLS, N.Y. – Fire crews were called to a burning home in New York Mills Friday morning, after someone driving by saw flames coming from the second-floor windows.
The call came in around 5:45 a.m., and crews were sent to the home on Greenman Avenue.
New York Mills Fire Chief Rick Ulinski says there were two adults and three children living on the first floor of the home, who were all able to get out safely after hearing the smoke alarm.
Ulinski says the fire was accidental, and is believed to have started with a wall-mounted heater on the second floor.
One of the adult residents was burned on the arm after trying to get back into the house.
"One of the adults that had burns on his arm because, apparently, there was some medication that one of the children take that was stored up inside the fire room and he want to try to get it...before exiting the building and he burned his arm and then gave up and get out of the building," said Ulinksi.
No other injuries were reported.
Ulinski says Yorkville and Whitesboro crews were called in for backup, and the fire was under control after about 45 minutes.
Officials say the house is not a total loss, but the family is staying with relatives for now.