HERKIMER – Several Herkimer residents had to temporarily leave their homes Wednesday afternoon due to a small fire in their apartment building.
Around 2:30 p.m. Wednesday, fire and rescue crews were called to the Nathan Castle Apartments located at 249 South Main Street in Herkimer.
Officials tell NEWSChannel 2 reporters at the scene that the fire started on a stove in one of the apartments, causing smoke to be visible on the second floor. Crews say all of the occupants of the building are safe, and the fire was contained to one apartment unit.
Those who live in the building, which houses elderly and disabled residents, were seen waiting outside while firefighters dealt with the fire.