HERKIMER – Several Herkimer residents had to temporarily leave their homes Wednesday afternoon due to a small fire in their apartment building.
Around 2:30 p.m. Wednesday, fire and rescue crews were called to the Nathan Castle Apartments located at 249 South Main Street in Herkimer.
Officials tell NEWSChannel 2 reporters at the scene that the fire started on a stove in one of the apartments, causing smoke to be visible on the second floor. Crews say all of the occupants of the building are safe, and the fire was contained to one apartment unit.
Those who live in the building, which houses elderly and disabled residents, were seen waiting outside while firefighters dealt with the fire.
- Crews fight small fire at Herkimer apartment building
- Fire crews make quick work of Herkimer fire
- Steel structure made fighting Altrux fire difficult for crews in Herkimer
- Fire crews quickly put out small fire at Remington Arms
- Crews urge caution during Herkimer road construction
- Crews respond to small fire at East Utica Warehouse
- Owners of Oneonta apartment building given ultimatum
- Herkimer BOCES students to build home for lucky winner
- Contractors chosen to build new Herkimer County Jail
- Truck crashes into former Quackenbush building in Herkimer