ILION – A man was rescued from the roof of a house fire in Ilion that broke out early Monday morning.
The fire at the corner of East Main and McCann streets in Ilion was first reported around 6:50 a.m. The house has several apartments with more than 10 residents, according to one of the residents, Harry Ford, who was rescued by neighbors.
Ford said he heard the fire alarm go off Monday morning and then searched his apartment for a fire. He said he found flames and smoke coming from the cabinet in his bathroom, and he had no way to escape besides the roof.
“Some people came by with a ladder before the fire department got here and helped me out,” Ford said. “They’re great people. Ilion is full of great people. Thank you so much.”
Ford said that all of the residents of the building made it out safely.
The Village of Ilion says residents may experience water issues due to the large amount of water being used for the fire.
"Due to a large structure fire, the draw on our system has disrupted the water flow," a notice on the village's website says. "You may experience discolored water and/or a loss of pressure."
The local American Red Cross says they provided immediate emergency aid to 11 people, including seven adults and four children, ages two to 14.
One of the families who lived in the home is accepting the following clothing donations:
- Men's XXL shirts and size 40-42 pants
- Women's large shirts and size 12-13 pants
- Men's XL shirts and size 32 pants
- Boy's large shirts and size 18 pants
- Baby boy's 2T clothes
- Men's size 12-13 shoes
- Men's size 11 shoes
- Men's size 6 shoes
- Women's size 9 shoes
- Baby boy's size 7 shoes
Donations can be sent to 1165 McQuade Avenue, Utica, NY 13501.