Governor Andrew Cuomo has directed flags on all government buildings to be flown at half-staff in honor of a state Department of Transportation worker who died after an on-duty crash
Maintenance worker Dennis Howe of Owego, in Tioga County, died from injuries that he sustained last Wednesday when a tractor-trailer collided with a DOT truck.
Howe was working in a construction zone when his truck was hit.
Cuomo’s office released a statement saying:
"I am saddened by the loss of Matt Howe, a dedicated public servant and Department of Transportation employee, who passed away last night due to injuries from when a tractor trailer collided with a DOT truck in the work zone.
"Since 2006, Matt served DOT Region 9 and the people of the state of New York honorably. As a maintenance worker, he was a jack of all trades who was always eager to lend a hand to the team.
"His death is a tragic reminder of the dangers our workers face every day braving the elements and our roadways, all while looking out for the safety of one another. There is nothing routine about what our maintenance forces do to keep New York's highways safe, and we have zero tolerance for anyone who flagrantly puts the lives and safety of our workers in jeopardy. This year I called for stricter protections for transportation workers to send a clear message that New York stands with our workers.
"In honor of Matt Howe and his service to the people of New York, I am directing that flags be flown at half-staff across this great state. On behalf of the entire family of New York, I extend my deepest condolences to his friends, colleagues and the loved ones he leaves behind."
- DOT worker dies after crash, Cuomo orders NY flags flown at half-staff
- Cuomo orders flags at half-mast as coronavirus deaths increase by record 779
- State DOT hiring 470 employees throughout NY
- DOT looking for winter highway maintenance workers
- Cuomo's 'red flag' gun bill advances
- State DOT accepting applications
- Cuomo chief-of-staff: Trial won't affect Cuomo's future
- DOT plans to replace 'I Love NY' road signs
- Flags will fly at half staff to honor fallen Fort Drum soldier
- NY Gov. Cuomo announces anti-discrimination initiatives