Danube homeowner escapes Sunday morning fire

A Herkimer County homeowner escapes burning home

Posted: Nov. 13, 2017 9:24 AM
Updated: Nov. 14, 2017 9:03 AM

Danube, N.Y. - The owner of a home at 878 Johnnycake Rd. in the town of Danube escaped his burning home Sunday morning without being injured.

A crew of 12 St. Johnsville volunteer firefighters managed to get the fire under control in about 30 minutes.

St. Johnsville Fire Chief Chris Weaver says the crew was able to keep the fire somewhat contained, but it did cause some extensive damage to the old farm home.

Weaver says the call came in just after 7:30 A.M. and it was learned the homeowner was using a small wood burning stove to heat his home. Weaver says that is what is believed to have caused the initial chimney fire, which then spread quickly to the back section of the home, "It'll start out as a chimney fire, but they can turn into a structure fire in a heartbeat."

Weaver says that is exactly what happened here, "This is fortunate that it didn't escalate deeper and really turn into a full-blown house fire, because it could have very easily."

Although it's too early to determine an exact cause of the fire, Weaver says it's never to early to talk chimney fire safety and this is a good opportunity to get an important point across to everyone, "Have your chimney cleaned at least once a year properly. There's people that go out there and clean the chimneys and they will inspect the chimneys to make sure everything is up to code."

Article Comments

New York Sash Teddy Bear Toss VIP Giveaway
Bootiful Costume Contest
41° wxIcon
Hi: 49° Lo: 28°
Feels Like: 37°
40° wxIcon
Hi: 48° Lo: 28°
Feels Like: 35°
41° wxIcon
Hi: 51° Lo: 29°
Feels Like: 37°
41° wxIcon
Hi: 40° Lo: 23°
Feels Like: 37°
WKTV Radar
WKTV Temperatures
WKTV Severe Weather
Click Here for A Healthier Mohawk Valley