MOUNT MORRIS, N.Y. (AP) - Authorities say a decomposing body found in western New York has been identified as a 70-year-old man who was reported missing in November of last year.
Livingston County Sheriff Thomas Dougherty announced Saturday that the body found Friday in a wooded area in the village of Mount Morris has been identified as James Lowery of Springwater, New York.
Dougherty says Lowery was "a known wanderer." The medical examiner will determine his cause of death.
The sheriff's office initially thought the remains might be those of North Carolina fugitive David Clyde Morgan.
Morgan and his girlfriend were traveling in a stolen car when they were pulled over on July 18, 2018 in nearby Geneseo. Officials say Morgan pointed a gun at a police officer before running into a cornfield.
(Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Decomposed body found in NY ID'd as missing 70-year-old
- Missing Dolgeville Man's body found in Fairfield
- NY to allow body scanners in prisons
- Infant bodies found in funeral home ceiling
- UPDATE: Missing Verona man found
- Missing autistic boy found alive
- A 70-year-old woman fell to her death at the Grand Canyon National Park
- Miss America 2019 is Nia Franklin of NY
- Western NY man found guilty in kidnapping, slaying
- NY Mills remembers 9-11