The Oneida County Sheriff’s Office has identified the West Winfield man killed in the three-vehicle crash on State Route 233 along the Westmoreland and Whitestown border on Thursday.
Deputies say 60-year-old Douglas Atkyns of West Winfield was killed in the crash.
At approximately 10:43 a.m., Thomas Stiles of Christiansburg, Virginia was driving a tractor trailer northbound on Route 233, according to deputies. As he passed the intersection at Sutliff Road, Atkyns drove his pickup truck into the intersection from Sutliff Road, striking the rear passenger side of the trailer.
Deputies say Atkyns’ truck then spun and struck a vehicle driven by Anthony Rocco of Whitesboro, who was waiting to turn left onto Sutliff Road from Route 233.
Atkyns was pronounced dead at the scene, and he was then transported to the Onondaga County Medical Examiner’s Office.
Stiles and Rocco were both uninjured in the crash.
Deputies say that according to witnesses at the scene, the tractor trailer driver had the green light at the time of the crash. The tractor trailer was inspected by New York State Police and no violations were found.
Deputies say the investigation into the cause of the crash is ongoing.
The Stanwix Heights, Westmoreland and Oriskany fire departments assisted at the scene, along with Central Oneida County Volunteer Ambulance Corp.
- Deputies ID West Winfield man killed in 3-vehicle crash on Route 233
- UPDATE: 1 person killed in 3-vehicle crash on Rt. 233 in Westmoreland
- West Winfield remembers 9-11
- State DOT reopens Route 233 following dump truck crash
- Fire Destroys West Winfield Home
- UPDATE: State Route 233 reopens following downed wires
- Residents' speed fears renewed following Route 233 accident
- West Winfield run/walk for veterans
- Mug Club: West Winfield Fireman's Field Days
- UPDATE: 4 injured in 3-car crash on State Route 233 in Rome