TOWN OF WESTERN - The body of a drowning victim was recovered from Delta Lake late Wednesday morning.
A call first came into the Oneida County 911 Center at 11:25 a.m. reporting a drowning near Main Street. Witnesses said a person left the boat launch in a canoe, then went into the lake.
Oneida County Sheriff's Deputies and Town of Western firefighters responded to the scene around 11:43 a.m, and found a deceased male had been located in the water by a friend.
Wednesday afternoon, deputies identified the man as 65-year-old Ronald J. Pocchiari of Lee.
The investigation is ongoing, but police say "nothing appears to be criminal in nature."
Joe Lisi, the Undersheriff with the Oneida County Sheriff's Office says crews found Pocchiari's body under his canoe.
- UPDATE: Deputies identify Delta Lake drowning victim
- UPDATE: Man identified in Hinckley Lake drowning
- Canadarago Lake Drowning ruled accidental
- Rome man rescued from near drowning at Delta Lake State Park
- Delta Lake postpones fireworks until Monday
- Moonlight trail walk at Delta Lake coming up Saturday
- Low water levels causing concern at Delta Lake
- Dozens on Lake Delta for free fishing weekend
- New York City man drowns while kayaking on Lake George
- Police identify girl who drowned after falling into canal