VERONA – A Marcy man is facing charges after he allegedly stole a car that his ex-girlfriend was in and threatened to kill her, according to the Oneida County Sheriff’s Office.
On Saturday, Oct. 20, deputies responded to the intersection of Beacon Light and Snyder roads in the town of Verona for a reported domestic incident.
Deputies say the victim was riding in her car that her boyfriend was driving when they pulled into the SavOn store at the corner of State Route 365 and State Route 31 in Verona. The victim’s boyfriend and his friend went into the store, and the victim’s ex-boyfriend, 27-year-old Malcom Cummings of Marcy, then got into the driver’s seat of the vehicle.
Deputies say the victim told them Cummings was upset because he saw her boyfriend get out of the car. Another woman was in the backseat of the car and tried to calm Cummings down, and he then drove off with the women in the car.
The women told deputies that Cummings was threatening to kill them by driving off the road, and he threatened to go back to the store and shoot the victim’s boyfriend and his friend. The woman also told deputies that Cummings struck the victim in the face while they were in the car.
Deputies say Cummings eventually pulled the car over on the side of the road and took off with the victim’s wallet, cell phone and car keys. She then flagged down a passerby and asked him to call police.
Cummings was taken into custody by Oneida Nation Police shortly afterward at the gaming floor of Turning Stone Casino. Cummings was then turned over to the Sheriff’s Office, and deputies say he still had the victim’s wallet, cell phone and car keys on him.
Cummings is charged with felony criminal possession of stolen property; the misdemeanors of petit larceny, unauthorized use of a motor vehicle, and menacing; and a harassment violation.
Cummings was being held at the Oneida County Jail, and he was then released on bail. An order of protection has been filed on behalf of the victim.
- Deputies say Marcy man stole car with ex-girlfriend in it, threatened to kill her
- One killed in two-car crash in Marcy
- Oneonta man accused of threatening girlfriend with shotgun while drunk
- 1 man hospitalized following crash in Marcy
- 2 injured in Marcy crash
- Utica man accused of killing girlfriend's baby appears in court
- Man accused of killing girlfriend in Utica misses court appearance
- Man accused of killing girlfriend arraigned on murder charge
- Utica man sentenced to prison time for killing girlfriend's baby
- Man, 20, sentenced for killing girlfriend's step-grandfather