NEW HARTFORD, N.Y. -- Officials have released additional information after a loaded handgun was found on Oneida-Herkimer-Madison BOCES school grounds.
A 17-year-old student was arrested Thursday and is still in the Oneida County Jail Friday night.
The Oneida County sheriff says they are working to find out the history of the gun, and there is a reason the school went on lockout and not lockdown.
“There was no plan to use that gun in school. We firmly believe that story. We have information to back that up. The individual didn't want to bring the gun in the building. It was left outside for a specific reason. Again, there was no plan for that gun to be used inside the building,” said Oneida County Sheriff Rob Maciol.
Ka’Shawn Carter is charged with criminal possession of a weapon and criminal possession of a weapon on school grounds.
- Deputies working to find out history of loaded gun found on OHM BOCES school grounds
- BOCES School safety summit
- BOCES student accused of bringing loaded handgun to school appears in court
- Deputies investigating reported threat at Oneida-Herkimer-Madison BOCES
- Student brought loaded gun to school in New Hartford, deputies say
- Harried Housewife: Loaded Chili
- Herkimer BOCES briefly evacuated for carbon monoxide alarm
- Oneida-Herkimer-Madison BOCES superintendent to retire in June
- Herkimer BOCES students to build home for lucky winner
- Herkimer BOCES, Central Valley postpone vote on purchase of Remington school building