Isaiah Gonzalez' prom, at Upstate Cerebral Palsy, was in danger of turning into a story of the tragedy genre after his date canceled last minute because of work.
"She could not get it off, so she canceled the night before. Last night," said his mom, Melissa Danielski. "He was walking up the stairs and back down the stairs and he had a really big fit. He was saying, what am I gonna do? What am I gonna do? I can't go to prom. I don't have anybody to go."
Eager to cast a wide net, and without a lot of time to spare, Melissa put out a call on Facebook. Destiny answered.
"Well, it's a friend of grandma's and I was getting ready for school this morning and my grandma just called me and she was like, well, a friend of mine, her son needs a date for prom and his date canceled on him if you want to go and I was like, 'of course,'" said Destiny Taylor, a junior at Poland School. Destiny's teacher let her out of school early after learning about the big date. She got her hair done, but Isaiah was having a harder time finding a place to get a last-minute fade for his hair. Mom looked to Facebook again, and again, the right person saw her post.
"I love making kids happy. It's important. I have a non-verbal autistic son," said Kelly Flansburg, who saw the shared post on Facebook late Thursday night. "I probably wouldn't have been able to sleep at all if I didn't offer some type of help, so I told her, you know, I'll cut your son's hair for free."
Isaiah and Destiny met for the first time outside UCP right before prom. He informed his aide at UCP that she was sitting up front in the limo; he was sitting next to Destiny. The smiles were wide, as they got into the limo for a quick ride around east Utica before heading back to UCP for dinner and dancing. Lots of dancing.
"It makes me feel like a really good person. Like I'm doing the right thing here," said Destiny.
"I think she's amazing," said Danielski, of her son's date. "I found out she's really shy, actually and she was willing to do everything and she's excited and I just think she's an amazing person."
- Destiny saves young man's prom after date cancels last minute
- Syracuse's Destiny USA struggling to pay its mortgage, WSJ reports
- 'Night to Shine' prom night at MVCC
- Mug Club: 6th Annual CNY Mom Prom
- Yorkville man awarded for efforts saving young boy in Myrtle Beach
- Local retailer shares tips for avoiding counterfeit prom dresses this prom season
- Last minute shopping: Deals abound!
- Dog Saves Rome Man's Life
- Local fish fry cancellations
- Crunch time for Sears: More store closings and a last-minute bid to save company