Utica, N.Y. - The Mohawk Valley DiamondDawgs notched their fifth straight win as they defeated the Utica Blue Sox 13-5 at Murnane Field, Saturday.
The Dawgs came out of the gates hitting well, they scored five runs in the top of the first inning, including a two-run home run from Justin Guerrera.
Utica responded with three runs in the bottom half of the first, two of those runs coming off a double by Proctor grad Vincenzo Castronovo.
Mohawk Valley answered back with three runs in the top of the second, and held Utica scoreless following a two-run bottom half of the inning.
Vincent Vitacco got the win on the mound for the DiamondDawgs pitching five innings, giving up just one earned run, two walks and striking out six.
This was the first victory head-to-head for the Dawgs, putting the season series at 2-1 in favor of the Blue Sox.
Mohawk Valley improves to 14-9, while Utica drops to 12-10.
- DiamondDawgs pound Blue Sox at Murnane Field
- Blue Sox top DiamondDawgs in first meeting of 2019 season
- Blue Sox clinch West Division title with doubleheader sweep over DiamondDawgs
- DiamondDawgs even season series with win over Blue Sox in seesaw game
- Blue Sox top Dragons to get back in win column; DiamondDawgs drop fourth straight in extras to Mohawks
- Hamburg Post wins American Legion Baseball state title, end Rockland's bid for 4-peat at Murnane Field
- Blue Sox, Diamond Dawgs ousted from playoffs
- Blue Sox take care of business at home against rival DiamondDawgs, Utica Post uses fifth inning rally to defeat Adrean Post
- DiamondDawgs host Purple in the Park night
- Blue Sox take different paths towards same goal