Dog Saves Rome Man's Life

An American Terrier saves the life of a Rome resident after a fire rips through his home.

Posted: Mar 9, 2018 7:02 PM
Updated: Mar 9, 2018 7:07 PM

ROME- An American Terrier saves the life of a Rome resident after a fire rips through his home. The fire occurred on Thursday afternoon in the 600-block section of North Madison Street. On Friday, tenant Thomas Peterson and his dog “Thor” were found inseparable.

“I definitely owe [Thor] my life,” said Peterson, while speaking to his dog Thor.

Thor only 7 years old came to his owner’s beckon call Thursday afternoon while his home was smoldering away.

“[Thor] just came in my room and just kept barking; he wouldn’t leave me alone,” said Peterson. “Then I smelled something so I got up removed my curtain from my bedroom door and there was nothing but smoke.”

Peterson soon realized his house was on fire, ran out the door and immediately had his neighbor call 911.

“My brother-in-law came running into the house and said call 911 there is a fire,” said homeowner Jeffrey Isherwood. “Before I could finish dialing 911 there were flames that were shooting out of the house.”

After Peterson safely evacuated the home his dog “Thor” made his way out as well.

“He was actually still inside. I had to call him from outside 2 or 3 times to make sure he came out,” said Peterson.

No people were injured in the fire; however, one of two cats did not make it out alive.

The family has nearly lost everything they had. A GoFundMe page was created by the family on Friday afternoon. The link for that page is below.

Article Comments

37° wxIcon
Hi: 35° Lo: 36°
Feels Like: 30°
39° wxIcon
Hi: 42° Lo: 40°
Feels Like: 33°
37° wxIcon
Hi: 37° Lo: 36°
Feels Like: 30°
37° wxIcon
Hi: 36° Lo: 37°
Feels Like: 30°
WKTV Radar
WKTV Temperatures
WKTV Severe Weather
Click here to learn more about A Healthier Mohawk Valley
23 courses for only $79.99
Stuff the Bus Locations
Home Free Contest
Flood Coverage