UTICA, N.Y. -- Dominican pride prevailed at Utica City Hall Wednesday afternoon.
Members of the local Dominican community gathered there at noon to raise the flag of the Dominican Republic. They also sang their national anthem.
A member of the committee that put together the flag raising explains why.
"Today is the 27th of February, and it's the 175th anniversary of our dependence – of the Dominican Republic,” said Sonia Martinez, a member of the committee.
Utica Mayor Robert Palmieri also read a proclamation and thanked the Dominican community for being part of Utica’s diverse fabric.
- Dominicans celebrated at Utica City Hall
- Local Latinos celebrate Dominican Independence Day
- City of Utica promotes charging station at city hall
- Utica celebrates May Day
- Ryan Hall named first Utica City FC head coach
- Utica City signs coach Ryan Hall to three-year extension
- Utica celebrates Tomato Pie Day
- Utica Celebrates World Refugee Day
- City of Utica celebrates grand opening of Kemble Park
- Utica City Budget