The local community is taking initiative to help those affected by Hurricane Dorian.
The Mohawk Valley Chapter of the Red Cross is working on a Disaster Distress Program. They've set up numerous shelters for those who have fled their homes or cannot return to their homes. So far, they've had more than 30,000 overnight stays by displaced people. At these shelters, the Red Cross is providing food, beds, health and mental services, and places for pets as well. So far, they have served 45,000 meals to the people staying in these shelters.
Many people cannot return to their homes due to devastating damage done by Hurricane Dorian. Strong winds, heavy rainfall, and storm surges have destroyed homes, caused power outages, and has made some areas inaccessible. These shelters will be used for a long period of time until these areas can rebuild. This is why donations are necessary to provide basic needs for these people.
In order to continue to help these people in distress, the Red Cross needs donations. The Executive Director of the Mohawk Valley Red Cross, Mallory Brown says, "We're asking the American public to make a donation, help your fellow Americans. We are not federally funded and so all of the money that we get to respond to disasters like this comes from the generosity of the American people. Ninety cents of every dollar we spend goes directly to client services. We are there for the people in these states affected by Hurricane Dorian and we will be until needs have been met". Mallory Brown says that efforts are being made to set up shelters in Virginia for people who may need to flee their homes as Hurricane Dorian travels North just off the East coast.
There is no minimum donation amount and all donations are welcome. These donations will be used by the Red Cross to prepare for, respond to, and help people recover from this disaster. This includes providing food, shelter, relief supplies, emotional support, recovery planning, and other assistance. If you would like to donate money to the Red Cross or become a volunteer, go to their website at redcross.org or call 1-800-REDCROSS. To make a $10 donation, you can text the word DORIAN to 90999.
- Donate to the Mohawk Valley Red Cross Disaster Distress Program
- American Red Cross eliminating Mohawk Valley Chapter
- Julie’s Christmas Wishes Program donates to YWCA Mohawk Valley
- Distressed Animal Legislation
- Red Cross helping 3 following Mohawk fire
- State officials teach disaster preparedness in Mohawk
- Mohawk Valley Red Cross sending volunteers to Florida in preparation for Dorian
- Mohawk Valley recognizes Good Friday
- Several Mohawk Valley schools nationally recognized for music education programs
- YWCA Mohawk Valley gets $4.8 million grant for support programs