Lauren’s, N.Y. - Don’s Meat Shop in the Otsego County town of Laurens caught fire around midnight Sunday morning and owner Don Toombs says the damage is bad, but he does plan to hopefully reopen within a couple of weeks.
No cause has been determined but Toombs says he believes the fire started near a compressor and may be electrical in nature.
Toomb’s 13-year-old grandson Brady who was staying over for the night saw the flames through a reflection in the window and woke his grandfather up.
The pair got out hoses to try to do what they could until firefighters arrived.
Firefighters from seven different departments responded and among the commotion, Toombs says the family’s two riding horses got spooked and ran through a wooden fence.
One horse came back, the second, named Vegas fled but was located around 4:00 Sunday afternoon.
Toombs says the fire damaged a good part of the building but the main structure where the meat shop is is still intact.
Tombs says he expects to re-open within a couple of weeks.
- Don’s Meat Shop owner : We will reopen
- Dogs' raw meat diet could be dangerous to them and owners, study says
- New owners plan to reopen Cinderella's Restaurant in Sylvan Beach
- GoTD 2016: Don Shipman
- Red meat allergy on the rise
- Dairy farmers struggle to make ends “meat”
- Half of tobacco and vape shops don't ID teens, undercover research finds
- $1K from Stewart's Shops Holiday Match to help reopen Westmoreland Town Pool
- Best shopping loyalty programs
- Shop with a cop