ORISKANY, N.Y. -- Naythen Aubain is officially charged with two counts of murder. The 29-year old was arraigned Tuesday evening at the Oneida County Correctional Facility's court room.
More than a dozen police officers ushered Aubain into court for his arraignment. Aubain's head was covered with a spit shield. Reporters asked him why he killed his grandmother. "In the name of Jesus Christ," Aubain said.
— Kirk Tupaj (@kirk2pi) January 9, 2019
He made an even more disturbing statement while in court. "I did do it. I chopped her up. I chopped up the landlady too," Aubain said.
Aubain is accused of killing his grandmother, Katherine Aubain, 90, and their landlord Jane Wentka, 87, in the two-family home they shared on Tilden Ave. in East Utica.
During the court proceeding Aubain became combative multiple times to the point that officers were forced to strap him into a restraint chair.
"I know for sure, but I can imagine he's probably very scared," Adam Tyksinski, public defender said. "Sometimes people say things to try to act as if they're in control of the moment, even though they are not."
Tyksinski asked, and the judge granted a psychiatric evaluation for Aubain.
"We really can't take a step to begin breaking this case down until we can figure out whether he's helping himself right now, he understands what's going on, or he's assisting himself or he's not," he said. "And we certainly just don't know that at this moment."
Aubain will go before a judge in Utica City Court for a procedural hearing on Wednesday morning. His public defender said it may take up to a month to receive the results of Aubain's psychiatric exam.
- Double homicide suspect: 'I chopped her up, I chopped up the landlady too'
- Prosecutor: Chili's double homicide suspect sought to kill 2 more
- Complaint: Utica double homicide suspect admitted to stabbing both victims, disposing bodies
- Utica double homicide suspect attending 'Mental Health Court' at time of killings
- UPDATE: Otsego County sheriff provides more details on double homicide
- Fifth person charged in double homicide at Chili's
- Jury selection starts in NY man's double homicide trial
- Loved ones, community remember Utica double homicide victim
- 2 Suspects Charged With Quadruple Homicide
- 3 more people charged in connection to double homicide at Chili's