UTICA, N.Y - It was a rainy day for the 2019 Summer Sizzle road race Sunday Morning.
The 5-Mile run took place in Proctor Park in Utica. The course weaved through the park and the areas around it.
Sunday's race was put on by the Utica Road Runners club. The funds raised from the race go towards benefitting the club and to raising money for scholarships for local students.
Road Runners President Wayne Murphy said that this race helps runners prepare for the biggest race of the year, the Boilermaker.
"So it seems like the weather hasn't cooperated much, it seems like we've had a late spring, and then we had a lot of rain on top of that. So we are all trying to get ready for the Boilermaker, and this should help with that," said Murphy.
There was also a kid run that kicked off at 8:30 that same morning.
Runners said that they are keeping their fingers crossed for a dry Boilermaker.
- Dozens turn out for the 2019 Summer Sizzle 5 Mile Road Race
- Blue Sox sizzle in the summer heat, rout top-ranked Mohawks
- Sizzling in Cooperstown for Baseball HOF Induction Weekend
- New logo unveiled for 2019 Boilermaker Road Race
- Early access to 2019 Boilermaker Road Race opens
- Open registration for the 2019 Boilermaker Road Race underway
- Boilermaker 15k officially capped, closing 2019 road race
- Boilermaker committee paints start line for 2019 road race
- Finish line: Gabriel Geay wins 2019 Boilermaker Road Race
- PHOTOS: Sights along the 2019 Boilermaker Road Race