UTICA, N.Y. -- Long before the turkey was on the table on Thanksgiving, hundreds of people were burning calories during Utica's 35th Annual "Run to End Hunger".
This year, the race benefits the Midtown Utica Community Center.
Dozens of runners had the choice of either running the 5K race or the 2 mile walk. This year, the walk collected thousands of dollars through both the registration and sponsors.
Some of those who participated, have come from across the world. They say it's the sense of community that keeps them coming back.
"Her family are from Sherrill and we come for thanksgiving each year and its always a fun thing to do in your local area," said London, England resident Joe Miller. "You can almost feel it when you are running, the togetherness of everyone you know and don't and its just a fun positive run whether you finish first or last," said Sherrill resident, Mary Semino.
Each of the participants were encouraged to bring a non-perishable food item to donate to the Rescue Mission of Utica.
The run is put on each year by the Utica Roadrunners.
- Dozens turn out on Turkey Day, in the 'Run to End Hunger'
- Run to End Hunger will benefit Midtown Utica Community Center
- Mug Club: Annual Run for Hunger
- Bounce Out Hunger
- Annual Run for Hunger in Utica another success
- Run for Hunger got Thanksgiving appetites started early
- Don't wash your turkey!
- Turkey Trouble? Call Butterball!
- Mug Club: Turkey Bingo