HERKIMER, N.Y - Fire investigators are trying to determine the cause of the early morning fire at Heidelberg Bread in Herkimer.
Fire officials got the call just after 4 a.m. When officials arrived on the scene, heavy smoke and heavy flames were coming from inside of the building.
A portion of State Route 28, was shut down for several hours as fire crews battled the fire. The owner of the bakery had expensive artifacts inside. Some of those were salvaged, but many of them took heavy smoke damage.
State fire officials have taken the lead in the investigation.
Fire officials said that there is heavy damage inside of the bakery, but they believe that it can be rebuilt.
No injuries were reported from the fire.
Statement from Heidelberg Bread Facebook page:
"This Easter has been a sad day for the patrons of Heidelberg Cafe. Early this morning a fire engulfed the restaurant, leaving the kitchen and cafe in rubble. No one was hurt and we are actively pursuing plans for reconstruction. We are devastated and apologize for any inconvenience. We will be posting the progress of the new Heidelberg Cafe as it unfolds. We thank you for your patience."
- Early morning fire at Heidelberg Bread under investigation
- Harried Housewife: Beer Bread
- NewsTalk: Rhubarb Bread recipe
- Harried Housewife: Irish Soda Bread
- Harried Housewife: Lemon Blueberry Bread
- Rome police investigating early morning stabbing
- Early morning fire destroys Constableville home
- Harried Housewife: Mini Banana Chocolate Chip Bread
- Panera Bread voluntarily recalls some cream cheese
- Utica Bread to stop its wholesale operations