ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) - Early bear hunting season is open in some southeastern parts of upstate New York.
State environmental officials say early bear season started Saturday and runs through Sept. 22 in southeastern New York. Early black bear seasons will open next weekend in northern New York and run through Oct. 18.
Early bear hunting season is a tool for wildlife managers to control bear populations. During the season, qualified hunters may use a bows, crossbows, muzzleloaders, handguns, shotguns or rifles, where allowed.
(Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Early bear hunting season begins in parts of New York
- New York's main season for deer and bear hunting begins
- Early bear season starts in northern New York
- New York selling hunting licenses for upcoming season
- New York's spring turkey hunting season is opening
- New York state conducting black bear survey
- Early Flu season locally
- In an effort to curb overpopulation, Canada goose hunting season opens in New York state
- New York had 19 hunting-related shooting incidents in 2017
- Hunters in New York killed 1,420 black bears in 2017