UTICA, N.Y. - The Utica Comets hosted the Charlotte Checkers for the first time in team history, but it will be a forgetful night as the team fell to their Eastern Conference foe, 5-2, at the Adirondack Bank Center, Wednesday.
Less than a minute into the contest, the Comets had a defensive lapse which resulted in Andrew Miller skating right through the middle en route to putting a puck past Richard Bachman and giving the Checkers a 1-0 lead.
Nikolay Goldobin would score six minutes later off a tic-tac-toe back door pass from Carter Bancks with the secondary assist going to Jaime Sifers, that would tie things back up at 1-1.
From there the Comets would give up three straight, including one just 50 seconds into the second period as the Aud faithful were left silent.
A small spark would come with just 15 seconds left in the middle frame, as he scored off his own rebound to bring Utica back within two, but the Checkers would ass one more in the third to ice the victory.
Bachman finished with 21 saves in the game, while Checkers netminder, Jeremy Smith, had 33 stops. The Comets power play went 0-6, while the Checkers went 1-2.
Also of note, early in the first period, LW Darren Archibald was injured on a hard hit into the boards in front of the Checkers bench while attempting to enter the offensive zone. He would remain down on the ice for a lenghty period of time, and despite skating off on his own, did not return to the game. His current status is unknown.
The two teams meet again on Friday night, with puck drop at 7 p.m.
- Early goals, Archibald injury cost Comets in 5-2 loss against Checkers
- Utica Comets' Darren Archibald undergoes successful surgery for cheek fracture
- Comets win OT thriller against Checkers in Charlotte
- Comets force Game 5, down Marlies 5-2 at home
- Saucerman makes immediate impact in Comets' 5-2 win over Bruins
- Canucks deal Nilsson, Archibald to Senators
- UCFC cools down the Heat, Comets win streak snapped by Checkers
- Comets give up two-goal lead in OT loss to Marlies
- D'Aoust's pair of goals lifts Comets past Bears
- Comets fall to Amerks after pair of third period goals