A member of the East Herkimer Fire Department died shortly after responding to a rescue in the town of German Flatts on Monday. Firefighter Robert Fitch was 60 years old.
Around 4 p.m. Monday, Mohawk and East Herkimer fire departments, along with MOVAC, responded to a rescue call in the town of German Flatts. According to Mark Walts, public information officer for the Mohawk Fire Department, a man found two dogs on a cliff on Route 168 in German Flatts, and he went down to get them but couldn’t get back up.
After returning home from the rescue call that night, Firefighter Fitch – who served as a safety officer for his fire department – died of a heart attack in his sleep, according to the U.S. Fire Administration. His passing is being treated as a line of duty death.
According to his obituary, Fitch was a 1975 graduate of Herkimer High School and he’s survived by his wife, daughter and two grandchildren, along with other family members.
Calling hours for family and friends will be held from 3-6 p.m. today at the New Life Church, located at 337 Protection Ave. in Herkimer. A memorial service will follow at 6 p.m. at New Life Church.
Memorial contributions can be made out to the Herkimer County Habitat for Humanity at P.O. Box 148, Herkimer, N.Y. 13350, or to the East Herkimer Volunteer Fire Department at 193 Main Rd., P.O. Box 95, Herkimer, N.Y. 13350.
- East Herkimer firefighter's passing being treated as line of duty death
- Recognizing outstanding performance on duty
- Swapping holiday sweet treats
- Utica Zoo Treats Dads
- Home under renovation completely destroyed after early morning fire in East Herkimer
- 18 Herkimer County veterans added to memorial at Herkimer College
- Herkimer Mayor to the Herkimer County IDA : "Take responsibility"
- Herkimer Library Welcomes Electric Cars
- Herkimer County approves 2018 budget
- New gym opens in Herkimer