An 86-year-old east Utica man is recovering from a head injury after returning to his home early Monday afternoon and interrupting a burglary. Utica Police say two men were in the house, one of whom hit the elderly victim over the head with an unidentified object. Utica Police were able to arrest 18-year-old Jose Gonzalez quickly, charging him with first-degree burlgary and second-degree robbery. They say Gonzalez and his elderly victim knew each other through family.
"There was some contact between the two prior to the incident occuring. The victim in this case left his house, came back a few hours later. While he was insisde his house, I think he interrupted what was a burglary in progress and ultimately was attacked," said Lt. Bryan Coromato, of Utica Police. "Was struck in the head, suffered some injuries, then realized he was missing his keys and a small amount of money. He went to a neighbor's house, called the police."
Police recovered the man's car a short time later. They say Gonzalez was cooperative after his arrest, but isn't giving up the name of his accomplice.
"As we took that information and developed more information related to the incident, we were able to locate Jose Gonzalez, bring him in and talk to him and during our interrogation of him, he did admit to having involvement in this incident," said Coromato.
Gonzalez is in the Oneida County Jail until his felony hearing in Utica City City Court, which has to happen within 144 hours of his arrest Monday. He's charged with 1st degree burglary and 2nd degree robbery.
- Elderly east Utica man interrupts burglary, is attacked
- Utica man accused of attacking elderly man and stealing his car
- Group interrupts environmental conservation budget hearing
- Statement regarding interruption of Kentucky Derby
- Utica Fire Department responds to East Utica for afternoon fire
- Utica man accused of attempted burglary in New Hartford
- Utica police seek help identifying burglary suspect
- Man accused of killing grandmother, elderly landlord in Utica pleads not guilty
- Utica man with crow bar accused of stealing from elderly woman's purse
- Crews respond to small fire at East Utica Warehouse