A truck traveling down Higby Road lost its brakes and crashed in the Village of Frankfort. A Bulinski Trucking driver, was able to steer toward a wooded area, then jump from the truck for his own safety before crashing the truck. Frankfort Highway Department worker John Weir saw the whole thing.
"If anybody’s familiar with this area, he went a long ways holding on to that truck, and just made it come to a safely end."
It may have been quick thinking, or possibly just luck, but it did raise safety concerns for some local residents. Herkimer County Legislator John Brezinski answered those calls, and came up with a possible solution.
"The only sensible solution to protect the truck drivers and the people traveling that road is to have an emergency ramp so a runaway truck can get off that road and possibly save a life."
We did speak with Paul Bulinski, the owner of Bulinski Trucking, who is in favor of having a runaway truck stop on this road, but putting in an emergency Escape Ramp would require a study, land, and money. John Brezinski was quick to respond.
"The hell with the money. You’re looking at a life. That’s what you’re doing, and we’ve seen it. Just what, a week and a half ago when that truck went down that road, and if he didn’t veer off to the right and jump out of that truck, he would have killed somebody."
Brezinski is looking for some assistance from the State. He’s hoping they can come up with other options for runaway trucks.
"Because it’s going to happen again. It’s a very, very dangerous, steep hill. We need to do something about it."
- Emergency Escape ramp Proposal
- Prisoner Escapes in Utica
- Ramp closure on State Route 49 in Rome this week
- Car flips into ditch on Campion Road ramp over weekend
- Car slides off Route 12 ramp, flips onto side
- Emergency Personnel refine response plans
- Emergency personnel taking additional precautions
- Danube homeowner escapes Sunday morning fire
- Inmate escapes correction officer custody in Utica
- Proposed parking plan in Cooperstown