MOHAWK – Members of the local community who are interested in learning about disaster preparedness will soon have the chance to take a free class in Mohawk.
The free, two-hour Emergency Preparedness Training class will be held at the German Flatts Town Park, located at 555 State Route 5S in Mohawk, at 7 p.m. Thursday, May 31.
The class is being presented by New York National Guard troops and the New York State Division of Homeland Security and Emergency Services. It will cover topics such as developing a family emergency plan, stocking up on emergency supplies, man-made emergencies such as an active shooter and active violence, and signing up for NY-Alert, the statewide emergency alert system.
Attendees will also receive a free emergency preparedness starter kit, which includes a first-aid kit, a face mask, a pocket radio with batteries, food bars, emergency blanket and other items. They will be limited to one per family. Attendees will also get a training certificate and a wallet-sized “Z-Card” with emergency preparedness information.
The class, which is being held in locations throughout the state, is part of Gov. Andrew Cuomo’s Citizen Preparedness Corps Training Program. It’s meant to provide New Yorkers with the knowledge and tools to prepare for emergencies and disasters, respond accordingly and recover as quickly as possible.
If you’re interested in registering for the class in Mohawk, click here.
To view the full news release about the class, click here.
- Emergency Preparedness Training class to be held in Mohawk
- Emergency Preparedness Class held in New Hartford
- State officials teach disaster preparedness in Mohawk
- Students get hands-on training at State Preparedness Training Center
- Rockin' Out Rheumatoid concert held in Mohawk
- Rome Memorial Hospital enacts emergency preparedness plan due to threat
- County breakdown of Mohawk Valley snow emergencies
- Mohawk Valley Baseball Hall of Fame inducts class of 2019
- 5th annual Spay-ghetti dinner held at Mohawk Legion
- Snow emergencies issued for several Mohawk Valley municipalities