UTICA, N.Y. -- The community came together one final time to remember a man who committed his life to this area.
Wayne Smoulcey was honored with a procession Wednesday after his funeral.
Many members of local police and fire departments stood at attention as Smoulcey took his final ride back to the Willowvale firehouse where he served as chief.
Smoulcey was also an Oneida County sheriff's deputy.
“Now at his passing it's important that we get together again and show support for Wayne and his family. He was a very dedicated member of our community, fire chief, member of the sheriff's patrol, dedicated many, many hours to serving the community, and we want to demonstrate our support for the family,” said former New Hartford Fire Chief David Reynolds.
Smoulcey is survived by his wife, a son, and a daughter on the way.
- End of watch: Family, friends say goodbye to Wayne Smoulcey
- Funeral arrangements made for Wayne Smoulcey
- Mug Club: Benefit for Fire Chief & Deputy Sheriff Wayne Smoulcey
- Thousands of community members standing behind Wayne Smoulcey
- Loved ones remember Wayne Smoulcey for committing his life to his community
- Family, friends to say goodbye to three boys killed in Herkimer fire
- Cooperstown Says Goodbye to Graduates
- Netflix may have to say goodbye to 'The Office' and 'Friends'
- Avid airman remembered by family and friends
- Chief Smoulcey of Willowvale Fire Company passes away after long battle with cancer