Utica, N.Y. - The annual Erie Canal Race which consists of a half marathon, a half marathon relay, and a 5K road race, drew a big crowd on Sunday as the weather cleared up just in time to get the event in.
The event is put on by the Commercial Travelers Life Insurance Company in Utica.
Barbara Day, a runner from Vernon, says it's been a tough winter and now a tough spring to run because of the cold and now the rain, so she was very happy the weather cleared up just in time for Sunday morning's first big race of the year, "When you’re a runner, you’ll run in anything, it doesn’t really stop you too much. This year has been particularly hard though, we had a cold winter winter, going right into a lot of rain."
The Erie Canal Race now starts and ends at the Adirondack Bank Center at the Utica Memorial Auditorium, a feature that runner Greg Mattacola of Rome loves, "It’s nice to have a half in Utica and I like the fact that it goes along the canal. It’s cool that they incorporated the hockey arena into it, and finishing in the arena is kind of fun."
As far as the weather in the next couple of months goes, as many of these runners will now prepare for the Boilermaker, runner Chris Pallas of Rome is just hoping for the best, "You get out there when you can. Hopefully the weather breaks and we can get some nice weather from here on out."
- Erie Canal Race serves as a nice warm up for the Boilermaker
- Mug Club: Erie Canal Half
- Mug Club: Erie Canal Cruises
- Hundreds run in the Erie Canal Half : A Boilermaker Event
- NY Canal Corporation working hard on Erie Canal winter maintenance
- Erie Canal Kids Run canceled due to weather concerns
- Erie Canal Bike Tour participants make pit stop in Rome
- 2 adults face drug charges after child drowns in Erie Canal
- Two men arrested in connection to dog found abandoned near Erie Canal
- New task force to explore ways to use the Erie Canal