PORT LEYDEN – A family has been displaced after a fire destroyed a home in Lewis County last night, according to Lewis County fire officials.
Just before 8 p.m., the tenants of 3002 Canal St. in Port Leyden arrived home to find the house on fire, and reported it to 911.
Fire officials say that by the time first responders arrived on scene, the home was fully engulfed in flames. Lyons Falls and Constableville fire departments were called for mutual aid at the scene.
The cold temperatures and deep snow surrounding the home made it a difficult battle for fire crews. Once the fire was out, heavy equipment was brought in to bring down what was left of the home.
The local American Red Cross is assisting the displaced tenants.
Officials say the cause of the fire is under investigation.
- Family displaced by fire that destroyed Lewis County home
- Middleville Garage Fire Destroys Home
- Fire destroys Poland mobile home
- Fire Destroys West Winfield Home
- Early morning fire destroys Constableville home
- Several people displaced by Herkimer fire
- Several cows killed in Lewis County barn fire
- Fire destroys barn in Plainfield
- Lowville house destroyed by fire
- Lewis County man killed in farming accident