Family of 6 rescued from Augusta home filled with carbon monoxide

A family of six in Augusta who were all poisoned by carbon monoxide had to be rescued by firefighters.

Posted: Jan 7, 2018 10:53 AM
Updated: Jan 7, 2018 9:47 PM

Augusta, N.Y. - Oneida County Sheriff's officials say occupants of a home along Sharman Rd. in the Town of Augusta woke up around 4:30 Sunday morning feeling sick, had headaches and were vomiting.


Sheriff's officials say one family member was able to call 911 and attempted to get the other family members out, but was unable to, as that member was overcome by carbon monoxide gas as well.

The 6 overcome family members remained on the second floor of the home as they were unable to escape.

Members of the Oriskany Falls Fire Department arrived and entered the home and rescued the 6 victims and brought them to safety outside.

The victims were treated at the scene by members of the fire department and responders from Central Oneida County Ambulance.

The occupants, who ranged from 6 months old to 58 years old, were transported to 2 local hospitals for further treatment.

They are expected to be ok.

Sheriff's officials say the fire department's investigation revealed that a malfunctioning coal heating stove was the source of the carbon monoxide leak.

The sheriff's office wants to remind everyone that carbon monoxide is a deadly, colorless and odorless gas that is often excreted by household heaters and stoves. Officials say it is essential to keep such stoves, hot water heaters, furnaces and alike serviced and clean.

New York Coronavirus Cases

County data is updated nightly.

Cases: 2155356

Reported Deaths: 53657
CountyCasesDeaths
Kings28880410522
Queens28324510023
Suffolk2047873414
Nassau1877353185
Bronx1871846598
New York1435654536
Westchester1317102296
Erie908201816
Richmond774921855
Monroe700711117
Orange49140847
Rockland47553758
Onondaga39603680
Dutchess29942447
Albany25107358
Oneida22861518
Niagara20299375
Broome18827367
Saratoga15810168
Ulster14164258
Schenectady13411206
Rensselaer11474145
Putnam1077793
Chautauqua9015146
Chemung7851137
Oswego772593
Ontario753293
Steuben7024147
Sullivan680076
St. Lawrence675897
Cayuga643092
Jefferson627568
Wayne586673
Cattaraugus580493
Genesee5460124
Herkimer5266110
Clinton488833
Madison461389
Livingston456860
Fulton447193
Tompkins446553
Montgomery4307128
Columbia4146104
Cortland397964
Tioga387863
Warren377262
Wyoming363153
Allegany358287
Chenango357077
Otsego351047
Greene347279
Washington321555
Orleans314483
Lewis284636
Franklin257912
Delaware243539
Seneca204257
Schoharie174319
Essex163626
Yates118226
Schuyler109014
Hamilton3182
Unassigned8711
Out of NY0254
Utica
Partly Cloudy
55° wxIcon
Hi: 77° Lo: 47°
Feels Like: 55°
Oneonta
Partly Cloudy
55° wxIcon
Hi: 77° Lo: 45°
Feels Like: 55°
Herkimer
Partly Cloudy
55° wxIcon
Hi: 79° Lo: 49°
Feels Like: 55°
Old Forge
Partly Cloudy
55° wxIcon
Hi: 77° Lo: 47°
Feels Like: 55°
WKTV Radar
WKTV Temperatures
WKTV Severe Weather

18 Facets of Summer Photo Contest brought to you by Herkimer Diamond Mines
Senior Send-Off brought to you by Herkimer College
Looking for work or looking to hire? Check out the WKTV Job Fair!
Saluting Those Who Are Proud 2 Serve