Augusta, N.Y. - Oneida County Sheriff's officials say occupants of a home along Sharman Rd. in the Town of Augusta woke up around 4:30 Sunday morning feeling sick, had headaches and were vomiting.
Sheriff's officials say one family member was able to call 911 and attempted to get the other family members out, but was unable to, as that member was overcome by carbon monoxide gas as well.
The 6 overcome family members remained on the second floor of the home as they were unable to escape.
Members of the Oriskany Falls Fire Department arrived and entered the home and rescued the 6 victims and brought them to safety outside.
The victims were treated at the scene by members of the fire department and responders from Central Oneida County Ambulance.
The occupants, who ranged from 6 months old to 58 years old, were transported to 2 local hospitals for further treatment.
They are expected to be ok.
Sheriff's officials say the fire department's investigation revealed that a malfunctioning coal heating stove was the source of the carbon monoxide leak.
The sheriff's office wants to remind everyone that carbon monoxide is a deadly, colorless and odorless gas that is often excreted by household heaters and stoves. Officials say it is essential to keep such stoves, hot water heaters, furnaces and alike serviced and clean.