A Canastota man was killed early this morning and authorities say he was traveling in the wrong direction on Route 49 in Rome.
Oneida county sheriff's officials say 34-year-old Jerry Holmes of Canastota was somehow traveling westbound in the eastbound lanes around 1:00 this morning. Holmes's vehicle; a Nissan Versa was struck by a tractor trailer. The tractor trailer driver attempted to avoid the collision with the white passenger car, but the two vehicles collided head on. Holmes was pronounced dead at the scene. The driver of the big rig, Tonya Springer (48) of Villa Rica, GA was not injured, nor was a passenger, Angela Terrelo (51) of Pikeville, KY.
The accident was reconstructed and remains under investigation. That portion of Route 49 was finally reopened at 7:00 this morning.
- Fatal Accident on Route 49 in Rome
- Ramp closure on State Route 49 in Rome this week
- Rollover crash slowed traffic on Route 49 in Rome
- Jackknifed tractor-trailer shuts down Route 49 in Marcy
- Rollover crash causes traffic delays on Route 49 in Marcy
- 78-year-old injured in Floyd rollover crash on Route 49
- Tractor trailer accident closes Route 365 off-ramp in Rome for hours
- UPDATE: Police call off search for driver of stolen vehicle on State Route 49
- Community devastated by fatal Rome fire
- Utica man dead after rollover on route 365 in Rome