ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) - Federal investigators say they may recall employees furloughed under the government shutdown to start examining a limousine that crashed in upstate New York three months ago, killing 20 people.
The National Transportation Safety Board says Thursday it's coordinating investigative efforts with the Schoharie County District Attorney's Office. They had complained last month that prosecutors prevented access while the criminal case proceeded. But with the help of the county court, the federal investigation can now move forward.
On Dec. 14, the NTSB sent a letter to District Attorney Susan Mallery saying "safety-critical evidence" has been lost because of its inability to inspect the vehicle.
The NTSB said it's having a structure built to house the vehicle at State Police headquarters near Albany. The limo operator was charged with criminally negligent homicide.
Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Feds to examine limo 3 months after wreck that killed 20
- NTSB hasn't fully examined limo in Schoharie crash that killed 20
- Police seize multiple limo plates after crash that killed 20
- Feds irked over lack of access to limo in fatal Schoharie crash
- 19 Indian students kill themselves after controversial examination results
- 20 dead after limo crashes into Schoharie tourist spot
- Months after deadly NY crash, NTSB has yet to inspect limo
- Grand jury to oversee Schoharie limo crash
- Limo company operator facing 39 new charges
- Cuomo: Limo that crashed in Schoharie failed state inspection