ROME – A female corrections officer was injured at Mohawk Correctional Facility earlier this month while investigating suspicious activity by two inmates, according to the New York State Correctional Officers and Police Benevolent Association.
According to NYSCOPBA, on May 12 the officer was conducting regular rounds in one of the dormitories when she approached two inmates who she believed were acting suspicious, and she saw that one of the inmates had a latex glove in his hand.
The officer then ordered the inmates two to the wall so that she could perform a pat-and-frisk for contraband. As the officer began searching the inmate with the latex glove he suddenly elbowed her in the face, according to NYSCOPBA, and the inmate then threw the glove at her.
The glove had a liquid inside that was later identified as the drug Neurontin, and the liquid got into the officer’s eyes, mouth and on her head. Officials say the officer activated her alarm, and after a brief struggle she was able to restrain the inmate with the help of other officers.
NYSCOPBA officials say the officer sustained a laceration to her lip and she was treated by staff at the correctional facility, then transported to a hospital for evaluation.
The 24-year-old inmate who reportedly injured the officer is currently serving a five-year prison sentence after a 2014 conviction in Erie County on charges of first-degree attempted robbery, first-degree attempted assault and second-degree criminal possession of a weapon.
NYSCOPBA says the inmate was sent to a special housing unit following the attack.
“Recent actions taken by DOCCS to relax disciplinary actions have created an inmate population that is emboldened,” said Scott Carpenter, Central Region Vice President for NYSCOPBA, in a news release. “There is no incentive for inmates to behave in a manner that is consistent with a safe environment inside the prison. We need to continue to advocate for disciplinary measures that will deter inmates from attacking staff as well as criminally prosecute inmates that commit serious acts of violence.”
- Female officer injured by inmate at Mohawk Correctional Facility
- Mohawk Correctional Facility inmate convicted of assault after attacking officer
- 6 corrections officers injured at Mid-State Correctional Facility
- 2 officers need treatment after inmate attack at Mohawk Valley Correctional Facility
- Inmate pleads guilty to sexually abusing female corrections officer
- Inmate escapes correction officer custody in Utica
- Officer finds synthetic marijuana in soap dispenser at Mohawk Correctional Facility
- 3 officers assaulted in 2 separate incidents at Mohawk Correctional Facility
- Inmate accused of brutally attacking female corrections officer appears in court
- Officer sustains fractured eye, nose after inmate attack at Mid-State Correctional Facility