GERMAN FLATTS N.Y.- Fire Crews were called to a home in the Town of German Flatts Thursday evening.
Fire Departments from Mohawk, Frankfort, Ilion, and East Herkimer were called to a home on Hidden Pond Road for a Basement Fire.
According to the Deputy Chief Joe Crisino Jr. with the Mohawk Fire Department, the fire was caused by a lithium ion battery that exploded in the basement.
Crisino tells NEWSChannel 2 where lithium ion batteries can be found, and how they can explode.
"It could be (lithium ion batteries can be found in) cell phones. These (batteries) happened to be (in) remote control airplanes. Any lithium ion batteries, cell phones, computers have them now, they're very when they're charging they can explode, and that's actually what happened here." said Crisino.
NEWSChannel 2 Camera Crews on scene saw a firefighter walk into a MOVAC Ambulance. Deputy Chief Crisino says that firefighter may have suffered from possible heat exhaustion, although that is not confirmed at this time.
The family will not be able to stay in the house Thursday night because of the damage, but is staying with relatives who live nearby.