VERNON CENTER, N.Y. (UPDATE) -- Fire officials have ruled out propane tanks as the cause of an explosion at a trailer in Quiet Valley Trailer Park in Vernon Center on Sunday night.
Seven fire departments were called around 7:15 p.m. after the explosion, where a 21-year-old mother and her two children, ages two and five, were rushed to the hospital after suffering burn injuries.
Fire Chief Peter Ropetski said when crews first arrived, they found signs of an explosion, which they believe happened in the kitchen.
A neighbor pulled one of the children from the wreckage after the explosion, which also destroyed the neighboring home where their grandmother lived. Ropetski says that home is now also deemed inhabitable.
“To be here to stand today and to say that, the mother and her two young kids, yes they got hurt, yes they were burned, to see the damage that you’re seeing and to be in that home, when that occurred and to still be alive, I would say in a way, they were very, very lucky,” said Ropetski.
The American Red Cross is assisting both households in the aftermath, while the mother and her two children are still being treated at Upstate University Hospital.
More details will be released on the cause of the explosion as fire crews continue investigating the presence of propane in the trailer.
The Vernon Center Fire Department is collecting donations for the displaced family. Items can be dropped off at the department on Tuesdays from 7-9 p.m., or by contacting a member.
The family is immediately in need of clothing, including size medium women's clothes, and young girls clothes sizes 3T-4T and 5T-6T.