The owner of Patty Jean's Country Restaurant, Joanne Bienkowski was emotional as she watched her business burn. She told our crews she had just left for the night shortly after 8 p.m. Then she got a call a short time later from one of her employees that her restaurant Patty Jean's was on fire.
NEWSChannel 2 crews arrived on scene shortly after 9 p.m. and there was a lot of smoke.
Fire fighters from several departments were working to put out the fire. They were cutting holes into the roof to vent smoke.
The fire was under control in less than an hour, no injuries were reported.
The owner's son told out crew the inside is gutted, destroyed and they will have to rebuild the restaurant.
Newport Fire Chief, Tim McEvoy said the fire is still under investigation.
Bienkowski says when she closed up shop, she noticed nothing out of the ordinary.
McEvoy said the fire started in the back and ripped through the inside.
The cause is under investigation. Chief McEvoy said they were waiting for the state to come to the scene to head up the investigation, which is normal when it's a business fire.
- Fire rips through Newport restaurant
- Newport Planning Board holds special meeting regarding proposed cell tower
- Newport residents may experience water issues during hydrant flushing
- Tweet from speedskater rips flagbearer coin toss
- Utica fire crews investigating fire at El Barajo Restaurant
- Vacationing firefighter saves 3 girls from ocean rip current
- Local restaurant begins accepting Bitcoin
- 2 restaurants close at Sangertown mall
- El Barajo Restaurant set to reopen Friday
- Restaurant Week kicks off in Utica