New Hartford, N.Y. -The Red Cross is assisting 4 residents who are without a home after a fire broke out just after 11 am Saturday afternoon.
The fire was located on the corner of Genesee St. and Wilbur Street in New Hartford.
The fire broke out around 11:15 A.M.. The house was fully engulfed when firefighters arrived.
Clayville Fire Department, Willowvale Fire Company, along with Yorkville fire department assisted the New Hartford Fire Department.
Resident Robert Satinoff lived on the first floor. He describes hearing noises coming from the second floor followed by smoke coming out of the second story window.
"Well at first a whisp of smoke coming from a cracked window, by the time I got off the porch, the whole thing had hit, it seemed like it just exploded," said Satinoff."
Mark DiOrio also lived on the first floor. He's a former photographer for the Observer-Dispatch. He said that he had thousands of dollars of camera equipment in his apartment during the time of the fire.
When he heard about the fire, he was not only concerned for his own safety but the safety of the residents that lived on the second floor.
"I ran upstairs, his door was locked, I grabbed a fire extinguisher and tried to smash his front door to scream into his apartment," said DiOrio.
Neighbors lined the side of the road watching as fire crews battled the fire.
New Hartford fire Assistant Chief Brian Mccormick saying the house looked to be a complete loss.
Everyone in the home made it out safely. The cause of the fire is under investigation.
- House Fire in New Hartford Under Investigation
- House Fire in New Hartford
- Woman killed in New Hartford house fire
- Police: Woman killed in New Hartford house fire
- New Hartford Police Investigate Hit-and-Run
- New Hartford Police investigate robbery at Cliff's
- Fire officials investigating Deerfield house fire
- Fire Truck Spectacular held in New Hartford
- Cause of Ilion house fire under investigation
- New Hartford police need help identifying suspects in Boscov's investigation