The Oriskany Falls Fire Department, the Oneida County Ambulance and 911 Dispatchers were honored Thursday night for saving the lives of an entire family.
Thanks to the bravery of the Oriskany Falls Fire Department, the Oneida County Ambulance and 911 Dispatchers, a family of six escaped a potentially fatal situation.
Thursday night those men and women were recognized at the Oneida County Volunteer Firemen's Association meeting for their role in rescuing an Augusta family.
What made it more difficult, the victims were unable to communicate with the dispatcher because they were suffering from the effects of the deadly gas.
Oriskany Falls Assistant Fire Chief, Jim Dowd, said in his 33 years on the job this was one of the worst cases of carbon monoxide poisoning he's seen.
And while it's a thankless job Thursday night was still special.
"Well like you said we don't do it for the recognition, but it's nice to get it once in awhile especially, you do things and you just don't think about doing them," said Dowd. "Everybody had to work together to get these people the treatment they needed as soon as possible. I don't believe that they had a whole lot of time left if they hadn't been able to make that phone call it would be been a bad situation."
Thanks to the first responders, all six occupants were rushed to the two Utica hospitals and were released hours later.
Assistant Chief Dowd also said it's a great reminder to have a carbon monoxide detector in your home so you can prevent an incident like this.