COLUMBIA, N.Y. - A barn fire kept volunteers from five fire departments busy early Sunday morning in the town of Columbia and now we have learned a number of goats perished inside that barn.
Cedarville Fire Chief Dan Coffin says the number of goats that died is not known.
There isn't much left of the barn on Route 28.
The fire broke out around 3:20 Sunday morning.
Coffin says when firefighters arrived, the barn was fully engulfed in flames. He says firefighters managed to keep the fire under control enough, so that it did not spread to the property owner's home which was only about 30 feet from the barn.
Firefighters from Cedarville, West Winfield, Mohawk, Richfield Springs and Frankfort all battled the fire for more than two hours.
Coffin says the cause is under investigation.
- UPDATE : A number of goats perish in barn fire in Columbia
- Barn a total loss after fire in town of Columbia
- UPDATE: Barn fire in Frankfort deemed accidental
- Fire destroys barn in Plainfield
- Basement fire breaks out in Columbia home
- Heading to Utica's St. Patrick's Day Parade? Bring a non-perishable food item
- Livestock killed in Little Falls barn fire
- 56 cows killed in Leyden barn fire
- Van Hornesville barn destroyed by fire overnight
- Fire sparks at pole barn in Verona